Friday, October 2, 2009

Pumpkin Bread recipe

This may be a record of three entries in one week. I feel like such an over-achiever, but the bloom will fade once I'm back on normal schedule next week, so don't get too used to it. My cousin Janelle sends me recipes from time to time and this arrived on 10/01 and was just beggin to be baked yesterday. It's going to be delivered to 4 pals today because if I eat it all myself, I'll be back in the bad graces of my doc. Anyway, the recipe is here in it's entirety, I noted the tweaks I made in it, and it's very moist and good with tea on dreary mornings.

Coconut Pumpkin Nut Bread
Ingredients:
3.5 C all-pupose flour
2 C packed dk brown sugar
2/3 C white sugar
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
1 C veg oil (or I substitute 1/2 c. applesauce and 1/2 c. oil)
2/3 c. coconut milk (in the ethnic aisle of most grocery stores)
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 t. ground nutmeg
1.5 t ground cinnamon
2/3 c unsweetened flaked coconut (I substituted sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds)
1 cup chopped walnuts

*I added 1/4 c. ground flaxseed to flour

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans. Combine all ingredients but coconut and walnuts until well blended. Fold in coconut and walnuts. Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 1 hour and 15 mins using toothpick test to desired doneness. Remove from oven and cover tightly with foil and allow to steam 10-15 minutes. Remove foil and cool on baking rack. Fabulous with peanut butter and a cup of tea! ;-P

Peace and Blessings!
Michelle ;-P

1 comment:

Katharyn said...

This sounds wonderful (but I'm addicted to pumpkin so of course it does). Thank you for sharing!