Friday, April 17, 2009

Movie Madness

Call me old school, but I like my movies to entertain, not make me think about the plight of the world or make me regret spending the admission for something that is not even entertaining. If I want to learn, I read or listen to NPR. Movies are for escape, what was the only industry not to suffer during the 1930s? The movie industry - but it also cost about $.10 to see a movie then too. I saw Slumdog Millionaire last evening and spent much of it traumatized, which I guess was the point. This won Best Picture? When did the criteria slip to shock and revulsion at America from entertainment? When I got home explained it as part Quiz Show, part Pulp Fiction, part Passion of Christ and part Born in Brothels. About accurate? Earlier in the week I described The Curious Case of Benjamin Button as part Forrest Gump, part Legends of the Fall and part Grumpy Old Men. I did enjoy the "Did I ever tell you I've been struck by lightning 8 times," guy.

Over the last week, I have seen 3 movies. For some reason, I've been on a movie fix for the past several months. Maybe it's because I discovered a rare find in Federal Way $1 and $2 admissions to movies that are new to me. I was always a big fan of the family run small theater who gave their public a break in the wallet department. Since I rarely see them on opening weekends and usually am 2-3 years behind the general public on my Netflix list. In the past month I've seen Australia, Benjamin Button, Slumdog Millionaire and then went into shock at paying $10/person to be tortured with Aliens and Monsters in 3-D - all the boredom, all the yawning coming right at you all the time. I'm tired of the "I'm a beautiful butterfly!" in every kid's animated feature to alleviate the nobody dies in kid's features.

I'm going to be looking for a comedy in the future until I'm good and ready and look at all the spoilers. Now I'm shocked, Oprah is twittering during her show. It's one thing for me to surf and watch half-heartedly, it's quite another for her to twitter while producing her show - the nerve! I guess I'm ranting today, time for a chill pill.
Peace and Blessings ;-P
Michelle

1 comment:

Katharyn said...

When did it become about shock value... a while ago. Blame video games and lenient movie and television ratings. The younger a person is when they are exposed to "shocking" things, the less of a shock those things become - thus creating a demand for higher sock value because everything else became boring.

Have you seen "Enchanted"? Awesome parent movie! It's like two movies in one, one for the kids and one for the adults who understand the real jokes. Seriously, put it on your net flicks! - I miss $2 theater is Federal Way!