Monday, May 11, 2009

1 year, already?

It has been a busy month, which accounts for no posts this month. What a difference a year makes - on the good side I'm exercising regularly, eating somewhat better than I have in the past and the system seems to be in "good chi" - balance. Every Monday in May, I had a step in the process of 1 year survivor checkups to complete. Blood work at the cancer center, a lovely double colonoscopy prep and procedure with two doses of "happy drugs" - I don't even remember getting dressed to leave the clinic and Dan's been messing with me that he let me walk out w/o pants. I'll get him back in 5 years. The final step in that process is next Monday when I meet with the oncologist to decipher all the data and see where my path leads me from here.

On a sad note, the night before my colonsocopy, I attended a memorial service for a pal from high school. Matt was a kid who was larger than life and had many factors counting against him, divorce, ADD, hearing loss, learning disabilities. He could have used his imposing size and these excuses to be the class bully. Instead he was the class teddy bear. He had an amazing gift for uniting kids in our class who existed on the fringes of the social stratum, giving us nicknames to unite us in his family of friends.

Even in his death, I was connected to friends of Matt by facebook as we planned his memorial at our high school chapel. That is a heck of a legacy, to be able to unite people even when you are no longer living. Eternal peace to you Mattie and many blessings on your family and children.

The day after my procedure, I attended a tea party fundraiser for the American Cancer Society at Salty's. We heard from a mom whose child was diagnosed with brain cancer who took that diagnosis and founded a non-profit research organization to focus on pediatric brain cancers. We were also addressed by the chaplain from Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, herself a breast cancer survivor - presented with just the right blend of humor, faith and fact. Her book "It's
Not About the Hair" originated from her emails keeping people up to date on her progress, sound famliar? Of course, my family at the table said, "You could do the same thing!" Yes, but would that be beneficial to the greater good and be a step forward in my healing. Something to think about and consider, but I am still sorting through the rocks and gold nuggets in the baggage that I have resulting from this long strange trip. I guess the biggest would be that the more people you share a burden with, the lighter it is to carry. With enough love, humor and faith, all things are bearable and work out as they are intended.

Peace and Blessings ;-P
Michelle

No comments: